Wednesday, June 28, 2006

In which our hero discusses Soccer, Rugy, Design and makes very tasteless generalizations of the differently-abled

Ahh World Cup Soccer . . .
A time when a young mans fancy turns to synthetic polymer balls and men kicking each other violently on well kept grass. Where else can you find the same rabid patriotism that begat two world wars? And lets not forget the occasional riot. Ah ha ha yes, what delightful fun.
Truth be told, I'm not sure how the World Cup works, I'm not sure the majority of the world North America does. It's like the soccer is the retarded cousin of the Western world. We're amused by its antics but don't really want to get involved. It comes over in its chronically bemused state looking for attention and we pat it on its developmentally disabled head and send it on its way, off to squish bugs and throw food at girls.
If soccer is our handicapped relative then what does that make Rugby? I'd venture it's the ravishing friend that takes care of soccer, feeds it and wipes up its messes. But away from soccer, Rugby is a real hot tamale. In between frenetic parties and whirlwind romance she finds the time to . . . compete in cage matches? This analogy is breaking apart fast so let's move on.
Rugby is such an interesting sport for me to watch. It's not as though I even understand fully the rules of it. But what I do comprehend I enjoy immensly. And that seems to be the way a lot of people approach graphic design, with retarded enthusiasm. I'm sure you'll agree that this is a dangerous combination.
Frankly I think the design world could take a few cues from Rugby.
Using comic sans, times new roman, or the lucida family? That's a sin-bin
Got your hands on a great design? Ruck over and keep the greater unwashed from mucking it up.
Rake the competition
Hit people . . . because, y'know, violence deserves more credit than its given.
What other penalties does bad design deserve?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I heard someone say hot tamale?

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home