Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Blood, sweat and jeers

The reason for my title?

As of tomorrow I will be finished by awful, grueling project for a financial insititution. Total gain for the store is something like 5 or 6 grand, which, rest assured, I will be sure to let my bosses know. In the grand scheme it isn't a whole lot of profit compared to other contracts, but for one guy (plus the odd grunt nabbed off the sales floor) to do single-handedly from start to finish, I think its something.

The whole thing has taken three weeks to finish. 2 weeks of occaisional work and then 1 week or frantic rushing about. Frankly I'm exhausted. Tomorrow I have a few last pieces to finish up, double check my quantities and off to shipping I'll delightfully skip.

I'm now so far behind in my other work that I really ought not to be blogging at work, but there really isn't too much to do just before close. I never heard back from the other print houses in town as to what someone like me can expect in terms of wages, so I'll need to use this as a main bargaining tool. To be frank I only expect my employment here to last another 6 months or so before I have plans to move on in my life, but thats 6 months I could be earning what my work is worth, thank you very much.

Once I'm done I plan to take some vacation time. I just so burnt out from doing ridiculous amounts of work. But I know what I leave behind will fall to pieces without me. And I'm not being pretentious. I left work one hour for lunch and...no, its not worth it, I'm not getting worked up over this again.

I enjoy the responsibility of my job. I have a lot of stuff to do and I get to make all kinds of big decisions, not to mention telling some people what to do :)

Its good experience and will help me nail down a real career later on. Co-worker issues aside, I'm thankful to have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home