Saturday, January 29, 2005

I am presently ill

Euch.

Over the past two days my body has decided it would rebel in every sense of the word and resist at each moment my desire to make it work properly. You should know that am prone (whether by genetics, fate or some cruel biological conspiracy) to both lung infections and migraine headaches. To the glee of both maladities, they have swirled together to form a debilitating and bedridden-ing concoction of pain, a "Perfect Storm" of ailments, as it were.

So I have been in bed for the better part of 36 hours with only a 7-11 Super Big Gulp of ice water and the occasional passing of a cat to keep me company. This terrible news for several reasons, chief of which is that I am now even further behind at work. I can only imagine the bevy of irate customers that awaits me on Monday.

I should explain:

At work I am mostly concerned with small, consumer level art and design. I make business cards, wedding invitations (which I'll go on record as saying I hate, sorry Eury), various and sundry photo fixes, NCR forms, basically if it goes on paper and is for the use of small commercial entities or psychotic brides I have at some point made it.

Clearly, this job relies on a fully functional and well built computer. Trouble is, this is a thing our resident tech does not comprehend on even the slightest of levels. If I am unable to open a stable file or data is randomly being corrupted, his first instinct is to turn off my wallpaper. Now the simple fact of removing my desktop image is not so disturbing, it is more so the fact that he thinks this may solve the problem. I smile and nod as I watch him flounder his way across the landscape of my PC, while in my head I am a seething screaming fury of derision. On many occasions I have to interject as he scrambles about my software, cursor poised over the uninstall utility, "Uhh, please don't delete that, I need it."

In the end, we are able to determine on some level what may be wrong. Sadly though, remedying this situation is usually the act of applying a quick fix to subdue the symptoms, rather than the root problem.
I came back from the weekend once to find my videocard software removed and important windows and print dialogues not displaying properly. Strangely though, any attempt to reinstall the software was met with no success. I can only imagine what had transpired in my absence.

Anyways, I have begun to get rather longwinded here. My computer finally decided it was not going to be operational at all, and many files of quite large importance were saved only by virtue of an autobackup feature. Wonderful, wonderful autobackup. So, PC dies, Tech comes in spends several days poking around in this file here and that directory there, and finally we come to the conclusion which I have suggest several times before; the computer needs to be wiped clean and rebuilt. Because, quite frankly at this point the machine is as if the French, instead of using steel and bolts, had began to do major repairs on the Eiffel Tower with JuJubee's and toothpicks. We are talking ridiculous levels of instability, where typing a letter is akin to walking a dark L.A. street in a pink jumpersuit with wads of cash strung about your body. Doing any sort of work is just daring your computer to explode.

So long story slightly less longer, I am about a full week behind at work. Thankfully though, most of customers at this time are patient folks waiting for wedding invitations. And oddly, I have all at once couples who are actually doing things ahead of time, fighting against the foul beast of procrastination. You have no idea how elated it makes me when someone comes in and tells me that even if it isn't done in a month, it will still be early. I don't generally take that long, but its very nice to know.

But the same time, I have a customer who is very far ahead in the running for most annoying client of 2005. A substitute teacher who believes her business cards (250 only, of course) to be of paramount urgency, as if it were a matter of life or death that a school secretary has a piece of paper to use in the unfortunate happenstance that Mr. So-and-so is ill and now someone is desperately needed to read "Clifford the Big Red Dog." Believe me, in the grand scheme of things this just not that big of a blip on priority radar. Which isn't to say I don't care about her, I do. I just have several more pressing people to deal with.

if ever there was a use for 60's era drug experimentation, this is it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home