Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Growing pains and working stains

The Christmas season is passed us now.

But our decorations are still up. I like it that way. Its Christmas sans the frantic panic of buying gifts and over crowded malls. Frankly they could stay up till the tree fell dead and rotting to the ground...which may take a while considering its plastic.

Went back to work yesterday. What a party that was. Oh well, at least I'm all caught up on my projects, which is a good thing; it means a significant decrease in the amount of people breathing down my neck.

Warning: Embittered Digressions Ahead

When people have a problem with me, I think I deserve the respect of hearing about it first, and in person. Not several people down the line. Yes I may 19, whoop-dee bleeping doo, I'm not stupid. If you want a shortcut to making me mad, then by all means, do this. Sometimes at work if I neglect a detail on an order or give misinformation, it only ever gets back to me through the grapevine. That really isn't a sound business practice, as nothing ever gets learnt. Not to mention most errors of that type fault from a lack of training. I've been here over a year, and honestly, I find out something new weekly. Most of it is not common sense, just ridiculous things that people do/want to make their jobs easier. People that need their heads knocked together.

It's times like these I really want to get into business. Throw aside photography and art, and take up a suit and briefcase. I feel that marketing would probably be a good area for me. I hate sales, anything like that. Management would be alright, though apparently the Uni's management faculty is full of meatheads, students and profs alike.

Problem with business is, in theory I have a "killer instinct", so to speak, but in practice I'm far too nice. At work, I make lots of exceptions and bend over backwards for customers. I'm getting over that now, as I've come to realize (maybe selfishly) that I'm not on commission and that how much money I bring won't affect my pay. So why work myself to death for a $50.00 client that I won't ever see again? Its sad thinking I'm not giving 110%, but the cost is usually stress and headaches (literally, migraines suck). Mind you I have yet to get the perfect balance of give and take, but I'm young, I can still figure it out.

Which is kind of hypocritical, considering the beginning of this post. I should work on that. In all seriousness though, I'm the kind of guy who never, ever wants to be referred to both literally or figuratively as a boy. I want to be taken 100% seriously, and given the responsibility etc., it requires. Yes I admit there are times I'll regress, but who doesn't? I'd much rather deal with a displeased customer (note that I chose displeased instead of angry, people need to control their emotions better over business cards and stationery), than have to deal with management. I'd rather work for myself than have people do favours to "help me along". I'm more than capable.

Ew. I just realized I sound like Andy from the Apprentice. Sigh, I guess as much as I would like to be respected as an adult, I need to grow a bit more. Things like this take time, I should enjoy my youth.

Curse you reason and enlightenment, give me back my opinionated, ignorant dank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home