Friday, December 24, 2004

Festivities abound!

Oh joy of joys, its Christmas Eve-day!
Know what this means? Parties, family, friends and general merriment?

NO, bzzzzzt, wrong

It means today I will have teeny-boppers hopping in wanting to get all sorts of touchy-feely crap made for a last minute Christmas present. I may be only 19, but I already have a healthy dose of contempt for this crowd. I'm slightly hypocritical in these regards, considering one of my good friends is merely 16 (he's my best friends younger brother, but one of the coolest kids you'll ever meet). But that doesn't stop me, history is built on double-standards. Last year I made the mistake of being a bit to generous in terms of my time and effort spent on customers. As a result, I was at work for nearly 3 hours overtime. Children beware, the Braden will not be showing mercy today. Added to that I am going on vacation next week, and need to have umpteen million things done by 4 pm tonight. This means I probably ought not be blogging or surfing the forums at Worth, but really, would that be a healthy thing to do? I think not.

Last night I received news that our intimate family dinner tonight would be trespassed upon by my thirteen year-old cousins boyfriend. To which I replied with a resounding, WTF!? Of course, this did not please me, and I griped as much in Hyjinx last night. 'Tomi held that I was been miserly. I suppose I was. Maybe he doesn't have a good family to be with, and maybe if we are all welcoming, it will be the highlight of his holiday. Maybe it will take his mind off of his whiskey swilling mother, tossing bottles about the ramshackle apartment as she scrambles to find her bra, gone missing in a fit of passion with an as yet nameless bar fly from the local pub. Worn pots piled high in the sink, as if to suggest a T-FAL Tower of Babel. Daddy won't be calling on Christmas, cause he's busy 'consulting' with his new buxom (best word ever) secretary, memos and files flurrying through the recycled office air.

Sorry, where was I? Ahh, yes...

But its equally possible he could be Steven Price. My stomach wrenches at the thought. If ever there was a candidate for pointless medical surgeries...

Of course, my cynical musing are distracting from the overall cheeriness of the season. A warm fuzzy glow that even Elvis' worse Christmas carol could not dampen. Serious though, I am so glad he left the mortal coil. If he was still making songs, I would wish I was deaf. Its not that I hate his voice, the instrumentation for each and every Christmas song he ever wrote is a startling cacophony of brutalized festive melodies. Nat King Cole must be spinning in his grave.

Maybe you'd never know it from this post, but I am quite happy the big night is upon us. For all my bitterness, Christmas couldn't be a merrier time. In fact if you'll notice I'm starting to run out of synonyms for merry and happy, and their ilk.

So, Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Freuhe Weinachten, Chimchiminey Chiroo...

And all that jazz...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home