Monday, December 20, 2004

The etiquette of gift giving

Scenario: Christmas Day, my fathers house

I love my Dad, don't get me wrong. Nicest guy ever, nicer than me, even to customers, (now that's nice). Except he likes to get me ugly sweaters. And not just ugly, ones that are far too big for me. Now, I am by no means a specimen of masculine form, but people, I am no Fat Albert. I fit comfortably into decently form fitted things, not too tight, but not too loose. Frankly I find loose clothing makes me feel sloppy.
But I digress.
This is not a huge thing, except its a dilemma of guilt. Do I accept it and feel guilty because I wont ever wear beyond Christmas day. Or feel really guilty when I tell him I don't like it? The social ramifications of this situation are far reaching, as one can plainly see. On the one hand, I'll be wasting his money, and I don't want to do that. But on the other hand, I could hurt his feelings. Being one to not make waves, I'll probably just accept ugly sweaters and wear it on Sunday afternoons to make me feel better about myself. A win-win situation I feel.

In other news:

I feel like I've betrayed my childhood. It is now December 20th, and I have not watched a single Christmas Movie. This is serious blasphemy. I have long held that it is not Christmas until I have seen "Rudolph the red-nosed Reindeer" at least once. I love that movie, Burl Ives is my hero, only he could play a banjo and make it sound like a piano. As a kid I would dream about the Island of Misfit toys. Maybe it symbolized some subconscious feeling of isolation and yearning for acceptance. Maybe I just liked polka dotted elephants and Charlie-in-the-boxes. Who knows, the childhood mind is fickle and transient.

Just like you, Winona Ryder

1 Comments:

Blogger Eury said...

About the sweater thing.. I think you should mention it, but before Christmas..and not the day before you receive your gift and you know darn well he wont'be able to exchange it but enough ahead of time but in a smart but not hurtful way. Say something like did you know that now that I'm more confident about myself, my job whatever... that I prefer wearing tighter sweaters to work.. so that I don't look too casual? If you don't mention it before Xmas, then bite your tongue and wear the sweater he gives you for you will certainly only hurt his feelings.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home