Monday, December 06, 2004

Christmas is Here!

If you'd allow me, I'd like to ramble on about my most favorite time of year.

I love this season. Christmas has always been very special, or rather, the build up to it. I love seeing our humble little mall all decked out in its Yule-tide finery, the city's downtown hung with gaunt, aged tinsel decorations and welfare-grade Christmas lights. Despite its resemblance to Christmas in a WWII bunker, Lethbridge is the only place I could ever fathom being for the holidays.
Of course, now that I'm well passed the rose coloured days of being seven years old and sitting on santa's lap, I find I really do miss the things we did year ago for Christmas. Traditions have withered away. I no longer see my extended family Christmas eve. In fact, the events of Dec 24 are largely in limbo until my parents decide to solidify them one or two weeks before. We don't go down to see the lights at the Brewery Gardens anymore (the city has cut back on the display, and I have no desire to go see dead plants and crappy wooden cutouts that the local gangs have pegged with bb guns, etc). The people that used to deck their entire lot as a sort of homage to every single piece of Christmas television have either died or moved or decided joy in the form of millions of electric lights was something they didn't feel like sharing. Actually I think we've all just forgotten where they live, I'm a bit of a drama-king.

Of course, I've started some of my own traditions. Now I can find gifts for friends and family. As much as I hate crowded stores (precisely the reason I stay away from Old Navy on weekends), I think there is something very awesome about people stuffed into thick jackets shuffling about to the tune of Nat King Cole and Wilson Phillips while they struggle to keep hold of their mountainous amounts of goodies. If you haven't noted yet, I'm a sentimental kind of guy. I'd like to have snowball fight with my dad and dance with my mom and snuggle with special girl-type-friends (could I find such a one) sooner than I'd like to do most things.
Also, skiing and playing videogames with my best friends during Christmas holidays (which sadly are non-existent now, Thanks responsibility) are great Christmas memories. You may not find gunning down your closest chum a cheery yuletide vision, but its frankly right up there with Christmas Morning and family dinners. Good times.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timesplitters and a little DP at 2am what more could a friend ask for? Merry Christmas.

p.s. one day i sneak up behind you and bam,(or a long procession of "bam's" from a minigun or ribtickler) then we'll see who has yultide joy.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home