Tuesday, December 07, 2004

I think I'm going to be sick...

I am by no means ultra-modern in my school of thought. You're probably not likely to find me at a cafe having polite nihilistic conversation over some ridiculous sounding drink. Triple Schotz Mocha Flippity Bean Muncher is not the name for something I want in my body. If the meal requires more time to say it properly than to consume it, I want nothing to do with it. Caramel Apple Cider manages to squeeze by purely because of the fact it is a monumental achievement in the history of mankind. Seriously. For me I think its the lunar landing of beverages. Its just that good!
At the same time, I'm staying as far away from the similar thinking of the retired farmers swilling their coffee at Smitty's, talking 'bout them good ol' days. I like to think of myself as a bit of a hybrid thinker. Definitely a family oriented man, strong roots in traditional values, but also conscious of the new world blah bah blah. What it basically boils down to, people can think what they please. I'll just find comfort in the fact I know they are wrong and often times stupid. I like things that way. I'm very internal.

But things like Ashleymadison.com make me foam at the mouth, just a little bit. In a nutshell, this is a dating website, except rather than finding matches for singles across Canada, this site will help you cheat on your spouse. A study showed that of all the Canadian user of online dating services, about 20% or one in five users admitted to using the site for finding extramarital relationships. At ashleymadison.com the percentage is about 80%. Honestly, does the world really need garbage like this in it? Every other marriage is going to end in divorce, why on earth would we need a service to conveniently provide a catalyst? One of the points the sites creator makes in his defense during an interview is that "people looking for affairs are going to have them anyways", the site just facilitates that. Wow, thanks for that. That's like saying "Severely depressed people are going to kill themselves anyway." But do we give them Ginsu knives with diagrams to the major veins and arteries? And the site projects profits of $7 - 10 million dollars. This really stinks to me. Especially around Christmas time.
Stupid me for thinking everyone in Canada are alright folks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eury said...

Hey, glad to find you on the net!! and some of us folks down here in Canada are alright.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Bray said...

Im a Canadian too, Eury! Although you are from Quebec..hmm I dunno ;)

8:06 PM  
Blogger Eury said...

Yeah, I know I'm from Québec.. and we are pretty much hated in the rest of the country, because they think we all want to separate.. but if I tell you.. I consider myself Canadian.. I guess I can't be so bad.... we can't exactly choose where we are going to "pop" out! ;)

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home